Stargazing for the first time? Don't worry. The overnight session near Mumbai will be a perfect initiation for you into astronomy.
All you have to do is enjoy the beautiful skyline of the Sahyadri mountain ranges and gaze at the stars under the open skies with us. Just a few hours from the city our Stargazing sessions offer a perfect blend of experiences & education in Astronomy.
Here are a few details to help you reach the venue properly.
For those coming in a train are requested to report by 5 p.m. at Asangaon station and those coming in Private vehicles are requested to report at the venue by 5:30 p.m.
For the benefit of those coming by Train, the train timetable has been shared below:
Train Time & Stations
- 3:00 CST
- 3:18 Dadar
- 3:34 Ghatkopar
- 3:55 Thane
- 4:17 Dombivali
- 4:28 Kalyan
- 4:41 Titwala
- 5:03 Asangaon
Once you reach the Station you are requested to come at the Railway Bridge where the team member of "Mumbai Trekizens" will be waiting for you with a Mumbai Trekizens - ID. The volunteer will help you get to bus* for reaching the site, which is 4-5 KM (20-25 mins) from the station.
**Please note that there are multiple organizations conducting stargazing at Mahuli so make sure you are with "Mumbai Trekizens" Team Member. All our team members will have a team IDs.
Please note that anyone coming after 5:30 pm, the only other options are auto rickshaws which charge 250/- to Mahuli. We are in no way responsible to pay this amount on your behalf.
Schedule for the event:
- 07:30 PM : Orientation
- 08:00 PM : Familiarising the night sky, knowing the constellations and learning about different objects in the night sky.
- 09:00 PM : Viewing objects through the telescope
- 10:00 PM : Dinner break
- 11:30 PM : Talk with Q&A session
- 01:00 AM : Viewing objects through the telescope
- 02:30 AM : Familiarising with new constellations
- 03:15 AM : Tea break
- 04:00 AM : Viewing objects through the telescope
- 05:30 AM : Pack up
*Schedule may change.
You can make payments using any of the following modes
- UPI – mumbaitrekizens@upi
- Google Pay (Tez) – 9702332748
NEFT – Deposit the Amount into the Following Account:
- Name : Mumbai Trekizens
- Bank : The Mahanagar Co-Operative Bank Ltd
- Branch : Kamothe, Navi Mumbai
- Account Type : Current Account
- Account No : 038011200000186
- IFSC Code : MCBL0960038
What is included in the tour
- Fees for an overnight stargazing session.
- Two times tea and drinking water will be available.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transportation: between Asangaon and our Farm. Transportation will be arranged by our team at the additional charge of Rs. 80. The vehicle for transport will be a private bus. You will be traveling with fellow stargazing enthusiasts. This bus will run between the Asangaon station and Patil Farm for a fixed period. Another alternative for transportation is auto-rickshaw, they charge anywhere between Rs. 250 to Rs. 450 for a one-way journey. Whoever misses the bus will be responsible for arranging their own transport.
- Dinner: Stargazing Mumbai team will arrange for the dinner at the additional cost of Rs. 200. Food will be prepared by the women in the nearby village. The food plate will have 2 vegetable curry (sabji), Rice Bhakari (roti), rice, daal, Salad, and achar.
- Anything which is not mentioned in the “Inclusive of the charges”.
- Carry extra warm clothes, it gets quite cold during the night.
- Carry mat/carpet to lie down comfortably.
- Torch with extra battery (Must)
- A bottle of water (at least 2 Ltrs)
- Some ready to eat food. Plum cakes, Biscuits etc.
- Carry a Diary and Pen in case you would want to make note of things
- Don't forget to carry your medicine.
- Carry your photo ID proof with the address. (Aadhar card, Voters Id, Driving Licence)
- Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- Participants or Members are responsible for his/her own safety and baggage.
- This is an educational program and not a luxury trip. All are requested to maintain the spirit of the program and co-operate. No unruly behavior toward fellow participants will be tolerated.
- Prior Registration is compulsory for all the participants.
- You will be responsible for your personal belongings. If you are carrying telescopes, binoculars, tripods stands, camera etc., then please be careful with your own equipment. We will help you with setting the instruments, if you require it.
- Basic toilets facilities are available.
- Do not Flash Bright Torch or Camera Flash on others during Observation Sessions. Human Eye requires 30 Minutes to completely adapt to the Dark Night Sky.
- Due to camp-site constraints, we won't be able to accommodate half-night, half program charges.
- Although the camp-site is secure with fencing, NO ONE should wander off the camp-site without intimating the organisers or without organizers permission.
- Any kind of misbehaviour which causes disturbance to other participants will not be tolerated and immediate action will be taken against the same.
- Stargazing Mumbai is not liable in any form for any kind of medical emergencies during the event.
- Stargazing Mumbai is a voluntary base group of some Amateur Astronomers, our aim is to spread and popularise Astronomy.
- Lastly, an important caveat to keep in mind Stargazing is subject to clear skies in case the skies get cloudy the organisers may not be able to do much and a refund will not be possible.
- Do we have washrooms and drinking water?
- Yes, we do have basic amenities available like washrooms and drinking water available. Please carry your bottle to refill water.
- What about Security?
- The area is fenced and we take care of the security around the field. If you wander off the field it won’t be our responsibility.
- Do we have mosquitoes?
- We do not face mosquito problems but it advised to carry mosquito repellent.
- Are tents available?
- No. We do not have a tent facility at This Event.
- What is the distance of the farm from the highway or Asangaon station?
- Approximately 7km
- Who can attend the program?
- Anyone who is interested to learn or enjoy stargazing can attend this program. No prior knowledge is required.