The Chadar Trek or the Zanskar Gorge is a winter trail in the Zanskar region of Ladakh, in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. Traditionally the only means of travel in the area during the harsh winter months, the trail has become popular with international adventure tourists. (Wikipedia)
Day 1: Arrival at Leh
Leh is the second largest district in the country, situated at an altitude of more than 3500 meters above sea level. During winters, as most passes connecting to Leh are closed, you will be flown to the highest airport in the world, Leh airport.
As soon as you touch the ground, you will be feeling dry and cold air, but what will take all your attention is the haughty, snow-capped mountains around you; a sight to be remembered forever. After completing the arrival formalities, we will take a taxi and leave for the pre-arranged hotel. Enjoy an overnight stay in the hotel.
Day 2: Acclimatization Day
As per the regulations and keeping in mind the health problems that trekkers might face (AMS), anyone doing the Chadar Trek should be at least spend two days in Leh for the body to get fully acclimatized to the weather conditions. It is unalterable and it is essential and is to be strictly followed by every trekker. Trekkers can spend the day by visiting the places around the city.
Day 3: Getting a medical check-up at SNM Hospital
Due to the perplexing nature of this specific trek, it is mandatory according to the government, for participants to obtain medical certification before undertaking Chadar trek. A clearance certificate will be issued after a medical check-up only when satisfactorily fit and acclimatized for the trek.
Drive from Leh to Shingra Koma and trek to Tsomo Paldar (Drive 65kms, 4-5hrs/ 3kms trek 2 hrs)
After enjoying morning tea and breakfast, we start our journey by driving to Shingra Koma. This ride is definitely not for the faint-hearted as rough roads and hairpin bends are quite common on this route. The sight of the surrounding high mountains will give you a sense of awe. After a while, you will have to deboard from the vehicle and trek towards Somo Paldar campsite. Your Chadar trek expedition will start from here.
Day 5: Trek Tsomo Paldar to Tibb (15kms / 7-8 Hrs)
After spending a cold night in the tent, have a wholesome breakfast and a hot cup of tea that will reactivate your senses in the morning in such subzero conditions. As you start trekking towards Tibb cave which is our next campsite. This trek route has some of the most attention-grabbing frozen waterfalls that one can encounter. Lunch will be served midway to Tibb cave. After walking for a couple of hours you’ll reach your campsite, you will be camping near the Tibb cave which is encircled by dry sand.
Day 6: Trek Tibb to Naerak Camp (13kms/ 6-7 Hrs)
As you move towards Nerak, the most anticipated campsite of the trek. Today, the route is almost 13km that takes you to the most iconic landmark of the Chadar trek i.e. the frozen waterfall. Hot lunch will be served on your way to the campsite. Considerably, Nerak will be the coldest campsite on the trek where the temperature goes down to -30 degrees during the night. Trekkers are advised to wear proper layers to stay safe from the freezing cold. If we are able to reach the waterfall on time, there are chances we might visit Nerak Village as well. Camps will be set at a distance of 15-20 minutes from the waterfall.
Back from Nerak:
There are many stories that trekkers might have heard stories of how unpredictable the weather patterns can get on the Chadar trek. There are times where you might find that the formation of Chadar no longer exists and at some places, a new layer of Chadar is formed. Even though the route remains unchanged, it’s amazing to see how different it appears while we return.
Day 7: Trek Naerak to Tibb (13kms / 5-6 Hrs)
Today, we start our return trip walk back to Tibb. The route of the return would not be easy as the river can rapidly react to any change in the temperature. By this time the icy river might have taken a completely new form. On our way back, we can admire the beauty of the valley and click pictures.
Day 8: Tibb to Shingra Koma & Back to Leh (9kms Trek 5-6kms/ 75kms drive, 4-5 hrs)
After having a hot breakfast, we get ready to leave Tibb and move towards Shingra Koma, crossing Gyalpo. En route, you will a chance to see high mountains and observe pugmarks of wild animals like snow leopards, ibex, and foxes. If you are lucky enough, you just might spot a leopard; and in any case, you do not, then at least be sure, you would be watched by them. In the evening, drive back to Leh and stay overnight at the hotel.
Day 9: Departure from Leh
Check out and depart to Leh KBR Airport, Fly home with smile and memories, back to home.
As you have accomplished the challenging trek, you will feel pride and it will be a cherished memory of your life. You have learned the techniques and skill to survive in harsh extreme weather condition and also have witnessed the hard life the ZANSKARI people are facing, the respect and encouragement for the Zanskari people bravely fighting the odds, surviving and defeating and accepting the will definitely teach you a lifetime lesson to remember.
Equipment’s we provide:
- Dome-shaped tents.
- Thick mattress.
- Sleeping Bag
- Dining tent.
- Toilet Tent
- Kitchen tent.
- Ice ax.
- First aid kit.
- Oxygen cylinder.
- Professional trek leader.
- Professional local route guide.
- Professional local cook.
- Professional local Porters and staff.
Please Note Its Important:
- If you don’t want to continue Chadar Trails once you arrived in Leh – or you are not physically well and wanted to Stay in Hotel – Rs.2,000/- (3 sharing basis) Extra - (Without Food)
- During Chadar Trail Trekking Days (4th to 8th day as per scheduled) – if you wish to come back to Leh Hotel – Remember Car Charges – Hotel Charges Extra as actuals
- Any Medical Emergency or Accident – Please note: It's completely your responsibility and Expenses
- it is expected to carry your personal luggage on your own during the trek as you are challenging yourself against the odds, but in some cases, if someone fell tired, the porters can carry your extra personal luggage for a fee of Approx. INR 800 per bag per day.
- To book the Chaddar trek you can use our online booking form or can call us personally for more clarification and information. You can use online payment/ check deposit/ demand draft options or could deposit cash into the Company account no. Once the payment is done, your booking confirmation ID will be shared to you.
Book in advance:
Booking in advance will not only give you enough time for preparation but also gives you options to choose the departure dates according to your time availability. It will also help you in cost cutting while purchasing your flight tickets. We advise you to book your international or domestic Air flight tickets well in advance.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in Guest house/ Hotel in Leh on the 01st -2nd -3rd Day and the last day and rest camping in Dome Tents during the treks according to the itinerary.
- Veg Meal during the trek.
- Well experienced and qualified trek leader, guide and the support staff.
- First aid kit plus oxygen cylinder.
- Transport from Hotel/ Guesthouse to trekking point and return.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Airport picks and drops.
- Leh Permit - Medical cost.
- Personal expenses.
- Travel insurance.
- Food During Leh Stay
- Porters to carry personal luggage.
- Tips, Local Sight Seeing and anything which is not specifically mentioned in the cost inclusions.