What are fireflies and why do they ignite?
Fireflies are a family of insects which glow in the dark. The phenomenon of glowing is called bioluminescence which occurs due to a chemical reaction inside their bodies. Fireflies use this luminescence to attract mates or prey.
Some interesting facts about fireflies:
Certain species of female fireflies pick mates based on specific male flash pattern characteristics. Higher male flash rates and increased flash intensity have been found to be more attractive to females among two different fireflies species.
Many fireflies do not illuminate at all. They use pheromones to attract their mates. Using pheromones for the sexual signal is an ancestral condition, whereas, using luminous sexual signals are a recent phenomenon.
Certain species of fireflies deploy both pheromones and luminous component to identify their mates.
There are varieties of use of luminescence by fireflies apart from attracting mates. luminescence is also used for attracting prey, making themselves unpalatable to predators, for identifying other members of their species, etc.
- Rappelling 250 Feet
- Camping or homestay in case of rain
- Night Strolls, mystery stories around Samrad will keep you hooked!
- Try your hand at night-time photography
Train - CSMT - KASARA (F-Mul-Diva)
- 11:46 am : CST
- 11:53 am : Byculla
- 11:59 am : Dadar
- 12:06 pm : Kurla
- 12:10 pm : Ghatkopar
- 12:26 pm : Thane
- 12:39 pm : Dombivli
- 12:48 pm : Kalyan
- 01:21 pm : Asangaon
- 01:58 pm : Kasara
Day 1: Saturday
- 02:00 pm : Meet the Mumbai Trekizens Team at Kasara Station
- 02:15 pm : Proceed towards Samrad Village
- 06:00 pm : Reach Samrad
- 06:30 pm : Have evening snacks
- 07:30 pm : Visit Kokankada and go for the jungle trails and see fireflies
- 09:30 pm : Dinner & Games
- 10:30 pm : Rest for the day
Day 2: Sunday
- 06:00 am : Wake up call, get fresh
- 06:30 am : Have to breakfast at the campsite
- 07:00 am : Explore some part of Sandhan Valley and Rappelling
- 10:00 pm : Back to the Village
- 10:30 pm : Start Return journey to Kasara Station.
- 02:40 pm : Reach Mumbai and bid adieu with a promise to meet soon
What is included in the tour
- Transportation from Kasara to Samrad to Kasara by private vehicle.
- 1 Breakfast- Sunday
- 1 Dinner (Veg/Non-Veg) (Saturday)
- Tent - 3 People Sharing Basis. or Homestay
- Adventure Equipment
- Rappelling Charges
- Basic First Aid
- Guide & expertise charges.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Train Ticket
- Mineral water
- Any personal expense
- Any other charges not mentioned above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather.